Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Mandolin Lovers Online

Apr 14, 2021 - 12:55:29 AM
56 posts since 4/6/2021

I know some of you guys live in the Midwest like I do. This is an area I know nothing about but I am wondering should I get some kind of case humidifier or some thing for my new Eastman?

Apr 14, 2021 - 4:04:50 AM



1016 posts since 1/3/2011

I would say "Yes!" especially for the winter months.

The simplest (and least expensive) solution is to put a piece of wetted sponge--wrung out first--inside a plastic ziploc bag with a few holes punched in it. I have also used spent film canisters (remember those?) with holes punched in the top.  In a pinch, an old prescription bottle works too (with a rubberband to keep the rig together.

You'll need to do this every 2-5 days depending upon how humid it is, the size of the sponge, etc.

Apr 14, 2021 - 4:31:21 AM

56 posts since 4/6/2021

Film canisters! You are dating yourself, sir. wink


thank you for the DIY tips! 
so don't worry too much Spring-Fall? 

Apr 14, 2021 - 5:34:11 AM
likes this

168 posts since 9/20/2012

Drug stores have a variety of little plastic jars and boxes that are great for drilling holes and filling with sponges. You can make them for 50 cents instead of paying $20 at a music store. They say that humidity should be at least 40%, and you can buy a digital humidity gauge for about $10 at Walmart or such (will pay $20-30 for the same thing through a music store). I try hard to support local music stores; pay a couple bucks extra for strings and such. But this seems to be one situation where you can do it yourself.

Apr 14, 2021 - 5:36:07 AM

56 posts since 4/6/2021

Right on...

Apr 14, 2021 - 6:10:08 AM



1016 posts since 1/3/2011

Yep, I'm aging well I suppose.

I totally agree with Yooper . I support my local store when I can, but humidification can be a real DIY.

Apr 14, 2021 - 6:24:13 AM

81 posts since 9/5/2016

Yep, diy solutions work fine.

I do own and use commercial gizmos. There's one from Dampit made for violins which I use in one mandolin. And I have a couple different types in guitars. I have a lot of instruments of different types. I could go broke buying humidifiers to put in each case.

The Planet Waves style humidifier is obviously a sponge in a nicely shaped plastic container. So, anyone can pull that off themselves. Pill bottles, film cans, M&M mini tubes, etc. all work. A walk around a decent dollar store will probably get a few ideas.

Your next question might be, "Do I need a hygrometer?" . Well, yeah! Some cases have one built in. Others may have space for one and a humidifier. Others, not so much. If you have one instrument to protect a case meter will do what you want. If you have a few instruments you can monitor humidity in the room(s) where you play. Again, no need to go to the music store. Many indoor weather stations have humidity features. I use one with multiple room sensors. Otherwise, hit eBay. Lots of solution for humidors and so on.

Edited by - Mandodennis on 04/14/2021 06:28:16

Apr 14, 2021 - 10:28:04 AM



1016 posts since 1/3/2011

I hate to disagree, but I deal with humidity and humidity instrumentation as part of my job. Most weather "stations"--indoor or outdoor--just don't have reliable humidity sensors; built-in sensors in the case are even worse. Perhaps if your acceptable range is 20%, those kinds of things are fine.

If you want to be within 3-5%, and you truly worry about staying over, say 40% RH, something like this is way better:

$89 is a small price to pay to protect a $1000+ mando/guitar/fiddle.   NFI.


Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories